Monday, August 25

Taman Negara

I've always had an interest in outdoor jungle camping stuff. ever since the good old scouting years. all we did was learn how to survive in the jungle like basic camping knowledge, knot tying, fire starting, tent setting, and also how to respect the jungle. well.. i guess in those days, we thought alot by our scout masters, but we almost never practiced any of it!

i think i remember going to only one or two camping trips the whole time i was in Cempaka! wow, for a person who likes the outdoors i sure don't go outdoors enough! but i remember those few camps that we had. they were really fun and i learned alot of new things! now that i think about it, i wish i went to more camps in my school days!

after a few years away from school, i kinda gave up the thought of going camping out in the woods again. and my family isnt really the type that goes on adventrous holidays. so it really was a shock when my dad told me that we were going to Taman Negara (National Park). Havent really been there before, and i didn't really know anyone who's been there and talked alot about it. but i guess it was something to look forward to! =)

found out a few days before the trip that we would be staying in chalets! i knew my family wouldn't stay in tents for a camping trip. so i didn't really think of it as a camping trip, so wasn't really expecting that much from it.

on the first night we were there, we went night trekking. i thought of it as just a walk in the jungle at night, but the guide showed us many of the insects and animals that came out at night! and wow some of them were cool!!! got back to our rooms... safe from leeches. =)

day two, we started off jungle trekking. and trekked our way to the canopy walk area. wow that was fantastic being soo high off the ground! it was funny watching my parents taking it a step at a time. and me racing through the bridges with my younger siblings. i'm thankful i didn't inherit my parent's fear of heights. After that we went back to our rooms to get changed to go swimming! our guide took us further up the river to go swimming in the river. wow the current was strong! me and my bro tried to see who could swim against it... yeaaa... he's a much better swimmer than i am. and still we're all safe from leeches! wohoo!!

on the third and final day of events, we went cave exploring! it was a really short cave, but my parents turned back half way cause they couldn't keep up, and my dad couldn't fit through some of the holes =S but the whole cave ceiling was covered in bats!!! there was just about a foot between my head and them at some points. i could feel them shitting on me!! i just kept telling myself that it was water dripping on my head. and on the way back to the boat, i caught 2 leeches on my shoe before they went any further up! and when we went back to the rooms to get changed, found out that everyone else got bitten by leeches except for me! how lucky am i? =P

on the same day we also went rapids shooting, which is basically going really fast in a long skinny boat over rapids. had loads of fun on that one. and on the way back we dropped by some Orang Asli village, which i wasnt really keen on at first, but they let me play with the blowpipe, so i was entertained =) also found out that the orang asli that live in the Taman Negara are originally from East Africa. so they looked really african, but they could speak perfect malay.. so that was really interesting to learn about how they came here.

and on the fourth day, we were struggling to pack because all of us were soo tired, all we wanted to do was go home. it was good to be home, i could finally check facebook!! =D i really am addicted to facebook... =(

altogether i really did enjoy myself on this trip which is rare, because i usually hate family trips! we always end up going nowhere! and be forced to go to places that only my parents want to go. but this time, i can actually say i really enjoyed this trip with my family. =)

also i would definitely recommend anyone who is a fan of outdoor camping trips to go to taman negara! they've got loads of different packages to choose from! (they should pay me for advertising)

yay!! i actually did get to post something up tonight.. wow.. i can actually sleep now.. yayyy!!! =D

2 comments:

lydia said...

omg
is sounds super fun!!!
><
especially the rapids part
really wanna go white water rafting!!!
><
the bats.... :S
go gua tempurung ler
not that many bats
:D
that place not bad

syaz said...

i went to gua tempurung before!! was great!! the cave i went into was just really short distance, but have to do alot more squeezing through tiny cracks, and bending down into the water.
gua tempurung was like really long compared to this.
=D